Background

Favorite Scripture

Alma 37:37
Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day.

Friday, October 28, 2011

Elder Mower Letter #20

Hola! Just kidding: i wish i was a Spanish speaker sometimes. haha That's ok though. Teaching in English is quite enough for me!

So Eagan has been great this week! Unfortunately, flu season has come and it dragged me in bed for a few days with a cold but I am back to work in one piece!

Before i start talking about the work, i need to announce this: my mission president put a new rule into action. Unfortunately, i can no longer reveal any real names of people that i am working with. Something happened with some other missionary regarding this thing. I don't know what happened but it doesn't matter. It will be a little bit difficult to keep track of who each person is but I am pretty sure i can work something out. So for the time being, i will replace the persons real name with another name other than their actual name. Make sense? Good. Lets get started...haha

So my mission president also came out with a new idea to contact people. Now we can use a survey to ask people different questions and tie it in with the gospel. There are 8 different surveys: Family History, The Bible, Jesus Christ, Prayer, Prophets, and others that i cant quite remember. We started using them later this week and they are VERY effective. One lady for example, we contacted her and she was not excited at all to see us but then we give here the Bible survey and we tied it in with the Book of Mormon and it sparked her interest. She got a Book of Mormon, she said that she would read and pray about it, and she even wants us to come back! All from that survey. That idea is inspired! I can't wait to use it more in the future to find more people to teach.

Remember that really solid referral that i mentioned last week??? (I won't mention any names...haha) We taught him and his 3 daughters yesterday after eating dinner with them. The father was VERY open and willing to try out what we have to say. He just needs to read and pray to find the truth of the Book of Mormon and once he finds out that it is true, he is GOLDEN! He let his daughters choose whether or not they want to hear us. They listened and they said they would be willing to have us teach them again. We gave each of them a Book of Mormon. They all committed to read and pray about it. We have high hopes for this family.
We also taught Bill who lives with a less active member, Samantha. He has some Word of Wisdom issues so now we need to work with him on that. I think he really wants us to teach him but ONLY teach and NOT commit him to change. We aren't giving up on him though. We committed him to read and pray about the BOM. Apparently, he told us that he ALMOST said no but his girlfriend asked him to. So she was a HUGE help for us.

Those were the only 2 lessons we had this week but we are working to teach more lessons for next week.

Now i will share with you THE BEST PART of my mission that happened last friday. Elder Quentin L. Cook of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles came to the mission with his wife. He is a personal friend of my mission president. He agreed to come as it was unexpected. About 160 of the 200 missionaries in the mission came. We all got to shake his hand and meet him. That was an indescribable experience. He gave such an amazing sermon! Randomly, Elder Black and I were the very last ones to shake his hand. After Elder Black and I took our seats, my mission president came up to the stand and said: "I just want you all to know that the companionship of Elder Mower and Elder Black is inspired, Elder Black being the tallest and Elder Mower the shortest." I was thinking: "I just got punked for my height by my mission president in front of an apostle!" Not only that but he asked us to stand up in front of an apostle and 160 missionaries to see our height difference!!! 6 foot 6 inches and 5 foot 7 inches. That's a shocker! Now i know he really didn't mean to do it make fun of me but it was a pretty funny occasion. It was such a unique and wonderful experience.

I would like to share my spiritual thought for this week now: When i got sick, i thought it was no excuse for me not to work. So then as Elder Black and I are going to lunch, I felt 5x worse than i did before, rain was so intense that it was like a huge bucket was being poured on us, and our only appointment that day canceled on us. I took it as the Lord does not want me to work today. Elder Black then shared a scripture with me which reads: "And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength (Mosiah 4:27)...." We are all human. We have weaknesses both in the body and in the spirit. We need to do our best of course but there is a line of what we can do. The Lord won't give us anything that we can't handle. I know that if we put our trust in Him and do our best in all things that we will be happier and the Lord will compensate for the rest. I say this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

Love Elder Mower

No comments: